MISSION OF THE INSTITUTE OF BIOCIDES AND MEDICAL ECOLOGY
The Institute for Biocides and Medical Ecology is a health institution in the network of health institutions that operates in state ownership and the founder is the Republic of Serbia.
The founding rights over the Institute for Biocides and Medical Ecology on behalf of the Republic of Serbia are exercised by the Government of the Republic of Serbia on the basis of the Decision on taking over the founding rights over the Institute for Biocides and Medical Ecology, ev. Government 05 No. 022-5398 / 2020, (“Official Gazette of RS” No. 102/2020).
The Institute for Biocides and Medical Ecology performs health activities at several levels of health care in the field of preventive health protection of the population from infectious diseases.
The Institute for Biocides and Medical Ecology implements disinfection, disinsection and deratization measures in the prevention and suppression of infectious diseases in health and other institutions, in accordance with the law.
The preventive services provided by the Institute for Biocides and Medical Ecology are based on the best evidence from practice and research, and are in line with the highest professional and ethical standards.
The Institute for Biocides and Medical Ecology determines and monitors the implementation of a unique doctrine in the application of biocides in the prevention and control of infectious diseases and implements medical ecology programs through risk assessment in the application of biocides.
The Institute for Biocides and Medical Ecology also performs other tasks, in accordance with the law.
At the IX regular meeting of the Serbian Medical Association, in October 1891, a decision was made to establish the Institute for Disinfection, and Dr. Milan Jovanović-Batut was obliged to make a project on the establishment of the Institute. The disinfection institute was built in October 1893 in Vracar and was one of the first preventive health institutions in the Balkans.
The new building was built at the end of 1933 on the initiative of Dr. M. Bulija, acting head of the Department of Public Hygiene, with the most modern equipment and arrangement in Europe at that time.
Due to the construction of the Gazela bridge, the old building was demolished in 1968, and a new one was built in Trebevićka Street, where the Institute is still located today.